The story of the pianoforte manufacturer, Steingraeber & Söhne, begins in the 1820’s in Thuringia. The second generation Eduard Steingraeber moved to Bayreuth in 1852, where he completed his “Opus 1”, a revolutionary “masterpiece” in which he combined “Viennese” with “English” mechanical systems. Within the space of three decades he built his firm into Bavaria’s largest and most important upright and grand piano maker, a regular recipient of international prizes ever since 1867. Beginning in 1906, world- renowned designers fashioned Steingraeber piano cabinets.
And so it remains to this day: international awards, the historic residence of the firm, the Schmidt-Steingraeber family, whose sixth generation now directs the business, while the seventh busies itself with the first piano lessons. Steingraeber & Söhne has always had the impulse to search for new developments in the construction of world-class instruments.